Homemade Citrus Infused Cleaner
Blog Post Written by Amanda Crossland, Product Manager for BUNN Home Products Division
White vinegar is a great tool for cleaning your BUNN® brewer. Did you know that white vinegar is also a popular natural household cleaner? Due to its acidity, vinegar can be effective at killing mold, bacteria and germs.
As a mother of a 1 year old, I try to limit the amount of harsh chemicals we use in the house. I like the idea of using vinegar, but would rather not have my house smell like a jar of pickles. I ran across this blog article for a Citrus Infused Cleaner and figured I’d give it a try. Thanks FabulousFindsbyTiffany for the inspiration!
Here’s what I did:
- Took empty pickle jar and filled it with a lime, lemon and peel from an orange.
- Added distilled white vinegar to the top.
- Let it sit for a few days until it was a nice yellow color.
- Took a glass bowl and combined about ½ cup of the citrus infused vinegar with ¼ cup of baking soda. It foamed up like a grade school science experiment for a couple minutes.
- Poured mixture into a spray bottle and added warm water.
The cleaner did a good job on high chair and the kitchen and bathroom counters were nice and shiny as a result. There is a faint vinegar smell, but it mostly smells like citrus. We’ll definitely use it around the house!
About the Author
Amanda joined the BUNN team in 2008 and is the Product Manager for Home Products. She enjoys interacting with coffee lovers to learn more about brewing great coffee and provide high quality products. When not exploring the coffee world, Amanda enjoys local and international volunteer work through the BUNN Development Guild, spending time with her young son William and exploring the underwater world through scuba diving.